Noble Research Lab
Department of Genome Sciences
University of Washington
Our research group develops and applies computational techniques for modeling and understanding biological processes at the molecular level. Our research emphasizes the application of statistical and machine learning techniques, such as hidden Markov models and support vector machines. We apply these techniques to various types of biological data, including protein and DNA sequences, data from high-throughput genomic assays such as ChIP-seq and Hi-C, and tandem mass spectrometry. We are currently developing methods for analyzing shotgun proteomics data, for characterizing protein function, structure and interactions, and for understanding the structure and regulatory influence of chromatin.
Front row: Anupama Jha, Ran Zhang, Kris Alavattam, Bill Noble. Second row: Mu Yang, Alan Min, Lincoln Harris, Yang Lu. Back row: Varun Ananth, Gang Li, Borislav Hristov, Winston Chen.
Click here for older pictures.
Brief bios of current and former lab members
- William Stafford Noble, Professor, Genome Sciences
- Borislav (Bobby) Hristov, Postdoctoral fellow, Genome Sciences
- Anupama Jha, Postdoctoral fellow, Genome Sciences
- Gang Li, Postdoctoral fellow, Genome Sciences
- Yang Lu, Postdoctoral fellow, Genome Sciences
- Ran Zhang, Postdoctoral fellow, Genome Sciences
- Gesine Cauer, Ph.D. student, Department of Genome Sciences
- Robin Aguilar, Ph.D. student, Department of Genome Sciences
- Lincoln Harris, Ph.D. student, Department of Genome Sciences
- Alan Min, Ph.D. student, Department of Statistics
- Justin Sanders, Ph.D. student, Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering
- Mu Yang, Ph.D. student, Department of Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education
- Melih Yilmaz, Ph.D. student, Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering
- Rowan Nelson, Postbac researcher, Genome Sciences
- Cliff Rostomily, Rotation student, Genome Sciences
- Bo Wen, Rotation student, Genome Sciences
- Charles Grant, Senior programmer, Department of Genome Sciences
- Varun Ananth, Undergraduate, Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering
- Winston Chen, Undergraduate, Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering
Former lab members
- Ferhat Ay, Institute Leadership Assistant Professor of Computational Biology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology
- Zafer Aydin, Assistant Professor, Computer Enginering Department, Abdullah Gul University, Kayseri, Turkey
- Asa Ben-Hur, Professor, Department of Computer Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
- Wout Bittremieux, Postdoctoral fellow with Prof. Pieter Dorrestein, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, UC San Diego
- Giancarlo Bonora, Senior Bioinformatics Scientist, R&D department, Predicine
- Xiaoyu Chen, Principal Computational Biologist, Adaptive Biotechnology
- Ayse Dincer, Research Software Engineer, Uber
- Timothy Durham, Bioinformatics Specialist I, Broad Institute
- Eleazar Eskin, Professor, Department of Computer Science, Department of Human Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles
- Will Fondrie, Senior Data Scientist, Talus Bioscience
- Michael Hoffman, Scientist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto, Canada; Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto
- Victoria Haghighi, Professor, Department of Neuroscience, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Lukas Käll, Professor, Applied Systems Biology, KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Attila Kertesz-Farkas, Assistant Professor, School of Data Analysis and Artificial Intelligence, the Faculty of Informatics, National Research University Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Aaron Klammer, Pacific Biosciences
- Andy Lin, Linus Pauling Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Labs
- Jie Liu, Assistant Professor, Department of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics, University of Michigan
- Li Liao, Associate Professor, Department of Computer and Information Sciences, University of Delaware
- Max Libbrecht, Assistant Professor, Department of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University
- Wenxiu Ma, Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, UC Riverside
- Damon May, Computational Immunologist, Adaptive Biotechnologies Corporation
- Tobias Mann, Director of Software Engineering, Bioinformatics, Adaptive Biotechnologies Corporation
- Sean McIlwain, Assistant Scientist, Department of Biostatistics & Medical Informatics, University of Wisconsin
- Merja Oja, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Paul Pavlidis, Professor of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia
- Lindsay Pino, Co-Founder and CTO, Talus Bioscience.
- Sheila Reynolds, Senior Research Scientist, Institute for Systems Biology
- Jacob Schreiber, Postdoctoral Fellow with Prof. Anshul Kundaje, Department of Genetics, Stanford University
- Oliver Serang, Senior Machine Learning Scientist, A-Alpha Bio
- Ritambhara Singh, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Brown University
- Ilan Wapinski, Systems Biology Fellow, Department of Systems Biology, Harvard University
- Gurkan Yardimci, Assistant Professor, Oncological Sciences Division, Oregon Health Sciences University
- Habil Zare, Assistant Professor, Department of Cell Systems & Anatomy, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Hike to Heather Lake, May 2006. A party, July 2006. Annual picnic, August 2006. Hike to Lake 22, June 2007. Annual picnic, August 2007. Hike to Wallace Falls, May 2008. Annual picnic, October 2008. Hike to Heather Lake, June 2009. Hike to Gold Creek, June 2010. Annual picnic, August 2010. Goodbye party for Michael Mathews, December 2010. Hike to Boulder River, May 2011. Hike to Talapus Lake, June 2012. Hike to Bridal Veil Falls, July 2013. Goodbye party for Habil Zare, June 2014. Hike to Annette Lake, June 2014. Hike to Snow Lake, July 2015. Hike to Denny Creek, August 2016. Hike to Rattlesnake Ledge, July 2017. Hike to Heather Lake, July 2018. Hike to Dirty Harry's Balcony, July 2019. Arboretum picnic, August 2020. Kayaking, July 2021. Hike to Bridal Veil Falls, June 2022.
The lab is located in Foege, room S340.
Terms and Conditions Online Privacy Statement